Video Signal Compatibility
Some video signals play nice together, and some don’t. Below is list of compatible and incompatible video signals. If video signals are compatible, a simple adaptor can be purchased. If video signals are incompatible, a transcoder will be necessary.
- HDMI is compatible with DVI, though problems sometimes arising due to HDCP syncing issues.
- HDMI and DVI are not compatible with RGB or Component
- RGB is not compatible with Component
- RGB and Component are not compatible with S-Video and Composite
- S-Video is compatible with Composite
Video Interconnect Tips
- Video signals and video interconnects are not always the same. For example, a HDMI video signal is always tied to the HDMI interconnect, while a component YPbPr video signal can have a RCA or BNC interconnect.
- Remember that digital and analog video signals through the DVI interconnect are not interchangeable
- DVI is losing popularity due to a lack of built–in copyright protection, and to the multiple versions of its interconnects confusing customers. More and more video equipment is being released with HDMI instead of DVI.
- HDMI is said to be backwards compatible with DVI. However, there are known issues due to the HDCP copyright protection.
- Component video is usually scaled and overscanned. Scaling introduces a bit of softness due to the scaling filter algorithms. However, the video softness depends on the video equipment. For example, DVDs are encoded in component YCbCr. Therefore, the overscanning wouldn’t be a problem for a DVD player, but could be an issue for a HTPC.
- Check your manual to see if your VGA D-sub connector will accept a component signal before connecting the two together. A change in the menu is usually needed for the rare devices that accept component video through a VGA D-sub interconnect.
- There are different types of coaxial cable. RG-59 is standard coaxial cable, and RG-6 is a higher quality coax cable featuring better shielding.
- See the cables section for more information on, you guessed it, cables.